McCauley props

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Starduster Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob McDaniel (65.69.80.150) on November 01, 2005 at 13:48:06:

I had a minor mishap over the weekend while my plane was parked at a fly-in and decided the best fix was to replace my prop. I've got a Lycoming O-540 (235hp) with a McCauley AFA8452 prop (or so the logs said.) After pulling the prop I discovered that my 84" prop was really only 82-3/4" long and it had been restamped on the back side (against the engine where I couldn't see it during the prebuy) that it was an AFA8358 (and there was no indication of the change in the propeller log.) I'm not an A&P (and don't pretend to be one) so I'm not so knowledgeable on the details. I went to the McCauley website and found it woefully lacking in any details (bolt torque settings, etc.)
A couple of questions:
- Am I correct that a 52 pitch prop is a climb prop and a 58 pitch is a cruise prop? I assume a standard would be somewhere in the middle. (All this time I thought I had a climb prop but I guess I didn't. Now I can't wait to see how it leaps into the air with a new climb prop on it.)
- What's the best source for this McCauley data? I'm probably just not looking in the obvious place.
- Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome.
Bob Mc
SA300 N277DC @ CPS

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Starduster Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]