Landing gear position

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Starduster Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Singer (69.173.100.54) on October 30, 2005 at 08:34:06:

There have been a lot of comments on the Bulletin Board about a modification that was made some time ago regarding the landing gear of the Starduster Too which was moved foreward a few inches. There has also been a lot of comment about the tail wheel supporting too much weight.
Can any one (BILL ?) tell me the reason for moving the gear foreward ?
The position of the gear does not change the gross weight. Moving it foreward changes the center of gravity a small amount but it does increase the load on the tail wheel.
. If you just wanted to increase the distance between the main gear and the tail wheel (for more ground handling stability ???) you could do it by just lengthening the tail wheel spring.
Is there a critical relationship between wheel contact with the ground and the planes center of mass ?
Am I missing something ? It appears that the only thing moving the gear position does is to change the weight distribution on the ground.
I would appreciate any comments. I am mounting a radial so I have more weight in the nose in any case and shouold get acceptable distribution with a short engine mount. (15.5 inches as given me by Lou Stolp years ago).
John Singer

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Starduster Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]