Al Pietsch's Too...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Starduster Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Engkvist (66.163.143.225) on October 10, 2005 at 20:45:51:

Is why I fell in love with the Starduster TOO. What a great guy he was. I learned to fly at Pietsch Flying Service in the winter of 85-86 and got to know him pretty well. His TOO was always sitting in the lobby and when the weather was to crummy to fly I would spend my time looking it over and dreaming about it. He was a very busy man but he always had time for all my questions and to talk Stardusters. A few years later when I finally decided to get more serious about building I gave him a call one rainy day during harvest and asked if I could come up some day and visit with him about getting started building. His reply was "Get in the car right now and meet me at the farm, ya can't combine today anyhow". My wife and I spent about four hours visiting with him that day and when we got home I promptly called Bill Clouse and ordered a set of plans. Al's TOO is hanging in the Dakota Territory Air Musuem on the north edge of the Minot, ND airport. Al along with son's Kent and Warren put on some great airshows. Kent and Warren are still at it. Kent also had a Starduster TOO and Warren would fly a clipped wing T-Craft. Alfred and Warren would do a two plane routine ending in a dual inverted ribbon cut that was quite impressive. I talked to Kent last fall about looking over his TOO and he told me he sold it to a friend that was a Canadian Snowbirds pilot. Never did get to Minot to look it over and guessing it is gone now. If I remember right Alfred told me his TOO was the first customer completed Starduster Too and it has over 5000 hours on it, a great share of them airshow hours. He was a Money dealer and both of there TOO's sport Money cowlings. As for my TOO project, it is kind of on hold right now. We are into a major house remodel and addition project but I still check in here from time to time. When I saw the post about Al I thought I would just fill in a bit of TOO history. He was a pretty big influence for me on my road down Starduster Lane. Can't wait for the day that road becomes a runway!! Take care guys, Enjoy your Dusters. Bob

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Starduster Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]